About

According to universally accepted tradition, Emperor Constantine the Great - the first Christian emperor of Rome - established a school on the Palatine Hill in Rome prior to 330 A.D. The school attracted outstanding teachers and enjoyed an enviable reputation. In 330 A.D. Emperor Constantine the Great moved the capital of the Roman Empire from Rome to Byzantium, renaming it Constantinople, the City of Constantine. Some centuries later the Palatine Hill school emerged as The Constantinian University of Masters, i.e., a guild of teachers. After the passage of additional centuries, The Constantinian University of Masters was annexed as The Constantinian University to the Constantinian-Amorian Order of the Golden Knights of Orient.



The Constantinian-Amorian Order of the Golden Knights of Orient and its annexed Constantinian University are dynastic institutions, which are an integral part of the historic-heraldic patrimony - inalienable and indefeasible - of the ancient Sovereign House of the Most Serene Imperial Princes Amoroso Comneno Angelo Flavio Lascaris Paleologo d'Aragona, legitimate descendants, in direct masculine line, of the August Roman Emperors of Orient of the Dynasty of Amorium, a city in ancient Phrygia of Asia Minor: Michael II Balbus of Amorium, called The Amorian (December 25, 820 - October 1, 829), Theophilus (October 1, 829 - January 20, 842), Michael III (January 20, 842 - September 23, 867), all of whom were heirs of Emperor Constantine the Great.





The functioning of The Constantinian University certainly, at one time, was governed by the Statutes, which were drawn up in old Greek and given in Trecase, Kingdom of Naples, on May 28,1605, by the Imperial Prince Don Giovanni Ferdinando Amoroso, Hereditary Grand Master of the Constantinian-Amorian Order of the Golden Knights of Orient. Through the ages, The Constantinian University has conferred all the traditional university degrees, as well as the ad eundem gradum and the licentia ubique docendi.



Having survived the vicissitudes of the ages and after many centuries of decorous existence, The Constantinian University, in recent times, began reducing its faculties and its student body, while continuing its university functions of presenting lectures, conferences, seminars, symposia, round table discussions, vocal and instrumental concerts, and similarly related university educational and didactic activities. At this point in its more than sixteen and one-half centuries of existence, The Constantinian University, true to its Roman heritage and in homage to its ancient traditions, directed its mission, with the utmost dedication and devotion, to upholding and fostering the dignity and worth of the human person, created in the image of likeness of God, and to celebrating the individual, who is a center of virtual spiritual sovereignty. The God-given dignity of the human person must always be the focal point of our thoughts and actions, for there is no other.



We execute sedulously this noble mission, as a University, by giving public recognitions, in every part of the world, to individuals who have particularly distinguished themselves by their contributions and achievements, considered meritorious of public recognition and approbation by The Constantinian University, The Mother University.



Today, The Constantinian University is, essentially, an honorary institution, that is, it is a select consortium of scholars, scientists, persons of letters, renowned artists and professionals from every field of knowledge throughout the world, who share the authentic desire to pursue truth (veritas), beauty (pulchritudo), and good (bonum) in order to dispel ignorance, to uplift the human spirit, and to ameliorate the condition of humankind everywhere.



Besides the Papal Bulls of the Supreme Pontiffs Innocent m “Zelo, sollicitudine curisque tuis” of February 2, 1206, and Pius II “Magnae devotionis tuae” of March 16, 1464, of great historical importance and significance is the imperial decree of April 23, 1606, issued by Czar Dimitrij V Ivanovic of Russia, conferring special, sovereign, and perpetual privileges upon the Constantinian Amorian Order of the Golden Knights of Orient and its annexed University. Prior to the decree of Czar Dimitrij V Ivanovic, His Holiness Ignatius, Patriarch of Moscow and of all the Russians, had approved ecclesiastically on March 9, 1606, the Constantinian-Amorian Order of the Golden Knights of Orient and its annexed University, and had placed the Order and its cultural institutions under the protection of Saint George, Martyr, and under the Holy Rule of Saint Basil the Great. In recent times the Constantinian-Amorian Order of the Golden Knights of Orient has become known as the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George, the oldest Christian order of knighthood in the modern world.



In addition to the official recognitions received by the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George and its annexed University cited in the preceding paragraph of this historical narrative, the following are some of the numerous, public recognitions received by the Order and its University:

  1. Royal Decree of King Peter II Kara-Georgevitch of Yugoslavia, dated May 2, 1944, officially recognized completely and permanently the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George (Dynasty of Amorium) and its University (Studiorum Universitas Constantiniana) and considered the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George as a member of the international community.
  2. Letter of official recognition from the Secretary of State of the Presidency of the Republic of Haiti, dated June 19, 1953, and signed by Mauclair Zephirin, Secretary of State.
  3. Certificate from Archbishop Nicolas, Exarch of the Patriarchate of Moscow and of all the Russias for Western Europe of the Russian Orthodox Church, dated Paris, January 7, 1960, attested that the legal recognition of the powers and sovereign, special, and perpetual privileges decreed to the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George and its annexed cultural institutions by Czar Dimitrij V Ivanovic, given in Moscow on April 23, 1606, continues in effect, never having been suspended nor revoked.
  4. Letter of the Lebanese Republic, dated Beirut, June 2,1962, signed by Rachid Karame, President of the Council of Ministers, and Smih El-Rafii, Secretary General, declared that the Lebanese Republic legally recognized the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George (and its annexed Constantinian University) as a subject of the international community. The letter further stated that the Lebanese Republic was ready to establish diplomatic relations on an equal basis of interest and mutual respect for full sovereignty and was ready to exchange diplomatic representatives with the Grand Master of the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George. While awaiting the nomination of an ambassador, Mr. Mustapha Ghazzaoui had been named interim chargé d'affaires of the Lebanese Republic. The Grand Master was asked to receive him and to extend to him all the usual courtesies of his position.
  5. Certificate dated Rome, August 10, 1966, from His Eminence the Most Reverend Cardinal Eugene Tisserant, Bishop of Ostia, Porto, and St. Rufina, Dean of the Sacred College, Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for Ceremonies, Librarian and Archivist of the Holy Roman Church, declared that the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George and its annexed Constantinian University are international, Catholic organizations and are subjects of international law not only because of proven tradition, but also for the recognition accorded them by the Holy Roman Church.
  6. Declaration dated Paris, November 21, 1978, from the Ministry of Education of France, attested to the fact that the State of France, Government of Vichy (July, 1940-August, 1994) had "de facto" considered the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George as a sovereign institution or a subject of international law, enjoying, certain prerogatives and diplomatic immunities. Further, The Constantinian University was established and approved as an educational organ of said Order, by virtue of the dispositions of its Statutes, duly promulgated in Alessano on April 23, 1897.


Further, Pope John XXIII, on April 23, 1963, bestowed the Apostolic Blessing upon His Most Serene Highness Prince Don Salvatore Amoroso d'Aragona, the immediate past Hereditary Grand Master of the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George. On April 23, 1965, Pope Paul VI bestowed the Apostolic Blessing upon the same immediate past Hereditary Grand Master of the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George. In the calendar of the Church, April 23 is the feast day of St. George, Martyr. This date is the feast day of the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George and its annexed University.

According to the most authoritative doctrines of legitimism, juridically, the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George is a Subject of Public International Law, since it is bound inseparably to a sovereign power, at least in title.

In the United States of America, the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George, including its annexed educational organ The Constantinian University, was incorporated, on November 29, 1966, as a religious corporation, pursuant to Article 8 of the Religious Corporation Law of the State of New York, in the Borough of Manhattan, City of New York, County of New York.

On November 30, 1966, Judge Murray Boxer, Ph.D., Justice of the Court of Special Sessions of the State of New York, County of New York, accepted the revised Constitutions of the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George as the Statute of the corporation. Judge Murray Boxer declared:

In fact, these Constitutions neither conflict with the laws of the United States of America nor with the laws of the State of New York, and, therefore, now are an integral part of the Certificate of incorporation of the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George, which enjoys the same legal status of Subject of international law, clothed with sovereign dignity, since it is inseparably bound to the imperial House of Amorium.

The Certificate of incorporation was filed with the office of the County Clerk, County of New York, on December 1, 1966.

The existence of The Constantinian University in the United States of America derives from Chapter XIII, Article 62, of the existing Constitutions of the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George, given in New York City on November 30, 1966. The preceding Constitutions, which had been given in Alessano, Italy, on April 23, 1897, and all the other documents expressly cited therein, were recognized to be authentic, following an expert evaluation ordered by the juridical authorities and, therefore, declared to be productive of incontestable legal effects, as of December 3, 1907. The irrevocable verdict was handed down by the Court of Palmi, during the Kingdom of Italy, that is, when a very strict rule was in effect on the entire question of heraldry and dynasties, under the control of the Heralds' College of the Kingdom, an organ of the State, which was subordinate to the Presidency of the Council of Ministers.

The Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George also was incorporated as a nonprofit chivalrous, religious, educational, and philanthropic corporation on April 3, 1986, under the Laws of the State of Rhode Island. A Charter was granted to the Order by the State of Rhode Island on April 7, 1986.

On June 13, 1989, the Sovereign Constantinian order of Saint George filed with the Secretary of State of Rhode Island a "certificate of amendment to Articles of Incorporation". The amendment was the Regulation, mentioned in Chapter XIII -The Constantinian University of the Statute. Among the provisions of the Regulation is the authority to award honorary doctor degrees, an authority which The Constantinian University has possessed ex consuetudine for many centuries. The "Certificate of Amendment to Articles of Incorporation" was accepted and approved by the Secretary of State of the State of Rhode Island and became an integral and inseparable part of the original Articles of Incorporation.

On May 16, 1994, The Constantinian University filed with the Office of the Secretary of State of the State of Rhode Island an "Application for Amended Certificate of Authority". The Amended Certificate of Authority, which was accepted by the Office of the Secretary of State as conforming to law, authorizes The Constantinian University to confer honorary university titles - such as University Lecturer, Professor, Associate Professor and others - an authority which The Constantinian University has possessed inherently for many centuries ex consuetudine, and which was included in the Amended Certificate of Authority for the sake of clarity. Further, the Amended Certificate of Authority authorizes The Constantinian University to conduct seminars, symposia, conferences, round table discussions, lectures, et cetera.

The Internal Revenue Service, Department of the Treasury, has determined that the Sovereign Constantinian Order of Saint George, to which is annexed The Constantinian University, is exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

The Constantinian University is chartered by the State of Rhode Island, is recognized by the Office of Higher Education of the State of Rhode Island, and is recognized throughout the world as a subject of Public International Law. Johnson & Wales University of Providence, Rhode Island, is the Host University for The Constantinian University.

The Constantinian University is listed on page 885, under "Colleges and Universities in Rhode Island", of the 1991-1994 edition of the Rhode Island Manual, an official publication of the Office of the Secretary of State of the State of Rhode Island.

The Frederick II University, Latin denomination - Sueba Studiorum Universitas “Fridericus II”, a dynastic institution of the Hohenstaufen Imperial Dynasty, the ruling family of Germany and the Holy Roman Empire from 1138-1254 A.D., is affiliated with The Constantinian University.

Magnificent Rector of The Constantinian University, starting from February 11, 1970, is His Excellency Professor Doctor Domenic AnthonyVavala, lieutenant colonel of the scientific investigation (Medical Service, U.S. Air Force), praiseworthy scientist, decorated with the most prestigious international official honorary distinctions, full professor and Dean for over twenty years of the Faculty of Health Science at the Johnson & Wales University.